I am exhibiting again this year in the "Cherry Blossom: A Textile Translation" show at the Silk Purse Gallery in West Vancouver, BC; March 27 to April 15th. I have posted photos on my Gallery 2018 page.
I have been so focussed on Instagram that my website has been neglected. Find me at @tempestm2017. The summer and fall were busy with textile related activities. My Canada 150 is finished and on my wall. It ended up being a triptych. Maiwa Symposium came and went, wonderful as usual. The workshop I took on thickening natural dyes was so inspiring and practical. I finished a project using one of my samples created there. I am currently doing another using thickened dyes. I entered the fall challenge at Visions Museum in San Diego and my entry "Mingei" sold! Selling will never cease to be a thrill. See Canada 150 and Mingei in my gallery. See the project from my sample using the thickened dyes below. I was amazed at the rich colors produced. My idea came from a vase of tulips. Of course I had to hand and machine embroider.
The members of my fibre arts group are creating projects that represent what Canada means to each of us. The main criteria was to not buy anything new, to just use what we had in our stash. No problem. I have a ton of stuff! We will bring our finished creations to our September meeting.
The landscape of Canada is the first image that came to mind; its vastness and diverse geography. I see Canada as the West, the middle, and the East so my project became a triptych. I had a box full of batiks in every colour I needed so that became the basis for the landscape. Here are some of the parts in progress. I will post the finished project as soon as I get the sections mounted on the canvases. (note to self: make your projects a standard size so you don't have to get canvases made!)
I took advantage of all the sunny days in July to experiment with sun printing and Setacolor paints. Years ago I tried this but had forgotten the details of how. I experimented with buttons, leaves, cardboard cutouts and bits of vintage doilies. I tried linen, cotton and silk.
Lessons were learned: Press leaves first, cardboard curls up so try something else firmer, don't use a frame-tape fabric directly to the plastic surface. Mix colors before putting on fabric and do a test swatch (colors looked very different on the fabric than in the container! This is a fun and really easy way to create a new fabric. I will post the items I am making with the fabric later.
The doll group I joined had planned an exhibit for the Parkgate Library in North Vancouver. It was an underwater theme and they already had enough mermaids so I volunteered to make a fish. Robin Reid had taught us to paint faces at one of our meetings so I decided this was the time to practice. I loved creating a personality and she became Glory, a very girly fish, who loves bling! My stash had plenty of bling that complimented the fabric that spoke to me. A Purple and blue batik was the start. I sculpted her body from foam, covered it with a thin fibre batting, then shaped the fabric to fit. It was a design that evolved as I went along. Such fun. She is currently on display with the other sea creatures at the library till May 29th.
My latest adventure has been into the world of dolls. I was invited to join a subgroup of the VGFA, The Coast Character Doll group. They were offering a workshop with Nell Burns on Free Motion embroidery and one spot was left. I attended and had a great day honing my skills and learning new things. I decided to formally join the doll makers. Never having made a doll I thought I had better make one so I felt like I belonged! The internet is a bottomless pit of ideas, patterns and advice so I found a pattern and was on my way. The group members steered me to some very informative resources online. My doll became a textile artist, apparently looking like me. I have since learned that this often happens. My stash had lots of appropriate bits so I didn't buy anything. I crocheted her top, stitched her vest and skirt, made her jewelry, booties and stockings and even made her underwear. I had so much fun!
Check out my new page. It is on the header. Lots of embroidery stitch illustrations.
I have been busy with life so my main textile project this fall was making a wall hanging from a 1920's wedding dress! My friend Jean allowed me to take apart her grandmother's dress that had been sitting in a box for decades. It was a simple cream silk habotai dress with a cotton eyelet petticoat and lining. It had a very simple tule veil with an opening for a band. There was some delicate embroidery around the collar points and the veil opening done in a metallic thread that had tarnished to a pewter color. I managed to save some of the details and the lace trim. It was fun to research design elements of the 1920 Art Deco era to use in my design. I wanted to maintain the layered nature of the garment so I created several layers in the design that would move as the air around the piece moved. The materials are mainly from the original ensemble. I added my own embroidery in silk and cotton threads, some taupe dupioni silk for contrast and a bit of lace from my stash (some two tone cotton lace from London, England!) It was difficult to photograph so I tried on my balcony. The bamboo rod is only temporary as Jean will use a more suitable metal rod.
The title Layers of a Marriage seemed appropriate.