Happy New Year 2017
I have been busy with life so my main textile project this fall was making a wall hanging from a 1920's wedding dress! My friend Jean allowed me to take apart her grandmother's dress that had been sitting in a box for decades. It was a simple cream silk habotai dress with a cotton eyelet petticoat and lining. It had a very simple tule veil with an opening for a band. There was some delicate embroidery around the collar points and the veil opening done in a metallic thread that had tarnished to a pewter color. I managed to save some of the details and the lace trim. It was fun to research design elements of the 1920 Art Deco era to use in my design. I wanted to maintain the layered nature of the garment so I created several layers in the design that would move as the air around the piece moved. The materials are mainly from the original ensemble. I added my own embroidery in silk and cotton threads, some taupe dupioni silk for contrast and a bit of lace from my stash (some two tone cotton lace from London, England!) It was difficult to photograph so I tried on my balcony. The bamboo rod is only temporary as Jean will use a more suitable metal rod.
The title Layers of a Marriage seemed appropriate.
Leave a Reply.